Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Race Report - World Triathlon Champs 2012

2012 World Age Group Sprint Champs
Auckland, New Zealand

My morning started early, about 5am. Shower, gear check, food etc. Jane and I made our way out of the room and heading quietly down to The Cloud for pre race prep. We definitely got the best of conditions for racing over the week. Sprint racing got underway from 7.00am (Swim 750m/Bike 20km/Run 5km) and Standard Distance later. Race start 7.14am in the 35-39 age group for the last time. Jane starts about 15 minutes later.

I am realistic about my performance goals, with my training being average at best, trying to deal with my depression, foot injury and life in general meaning my motivation and quality of training was low. Oh well, race time, this is what I enjoy!! 93 in my wave with 2 no shows.


Sitting on the pontoon with my fellow athletes, relaxed, a little worried about the 400m on concrete from swim exit to bike mount in bare feet, but not stressed at all, getting excited really. In the water and ready to start..... Hooter goes and off we head. Always a bit of biffo at the beginning, people climbing on my legs...OHHHH NOOOOOO!!!! I can't breath!! Not again!! I eased off, let my spot in the group go...damnit! I had to do a complete stop in the water to catch my breath, waving off the kayak and even managed to look around at the field, 3rd to last...I eased back into my swim, and slowly got into my stroke and kept passing orange caps, so not a complete write off, and out of the water, up the ramp and protecting my left foot and I try and get to my bike as fast as possible, good cheering as I head to transition. Matty Berg in transition cheering right before his race, big ups! Always love racing you.

Onto the bike and cleanly without tangling with the traffic. Feeling a bit sort of breath and probably afraid to really push the lungs to the limit after that problem in the water, I wind up preparing for the first hill in Parnell. The extra weight I carry at the moment not a help as I grid up. Still fun though. Who would have thought that I could be representing New Zealand in a sporting event, let alone at a World Champs at home. Trying to not give up places on the undulating course, hoping to make a few places up on the flat run home, in the TT run home. Feeling really flat physically and not cycling as well as I have in the past at other Worlds, those spots just don't come. Looking out for Jane hoping to yell out support. Drink, eat, get ready for the run. 5km of flat hard running, a little afraid with my foot but looking forward to it. Into a cold head wind for the last 4km then cleanly off the bike, again another dangerous run in bare feet to rack the bike and out onto the run course. Passing Alex and her grandparents

5.3km of running (due the the longer race having a shorter 2nd lap because of the run turn) and watching my pace on the watch, trying to keep at 4 minute km's. Not bad for pushing 100kgs. So many people lining the streets cheering, awesome!!!


The closer to the finish, the louder it gets, pushing myself to race the best I can today, having not been able to really go for it on a bike course that does not really suit my cycling style, pushing my feet to go all Road Runner, every time I hear my name, I wave. Only doing the one lap, not having a chance to acknowledge them on a 2nd lap. The finish area starting to go off!!


That blue finish carpet. What an amazing feeling. 4th time, and each time always a special moment. Running that last 100m for that one great finish photo!

I may not have been in the best shape. I may not have had the best luck today. I did however, went as best I could on the day. I did enjoy the racing again. Getting that finishers medal is always great. How many people get an athletic world championship competitors medal? No matter what I do from here on, I will always have that medal. Cool.

I waited at the finishes area, waiting for Jane to bring it home. Always a nervous wait for me. About 20 minutes after I finished, Jane come barrelling towards the finish gantry. Awesome!! Recovery and family photos then off to eat and support the standard distance competitors.

A great day when there's triathlon.

No comments: