Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Ironman Prep Day 80 Jan 3 (Whangamata Sprint Race)

It's raining outside. I don't remember this being part of the plan. At least I'm feeling better than when I went to bed.
Up and packed, ready to race and off to get set up. Looks like it's clearing a bit. Still worried my leg isn't right. Oh well it is what it is. Off to the water and good surf today. This will be fun!
WHAT A DISASTER!
As I ran from the beach my calf blew out on me! No joke, less than 10 steps into the race. SO PISSED.
Went and got ice then tried to find Jane but missed her but saw Alex finish the swim. So proud of her today. Those were really tough conditions in the water.
Got some clothes, got my gear and wrecked my favourite hoodie. Not a good day so far!
Emando was running around trying to borrow a helmet so I offered him my rode helmet and sorted him out and waited for Jane to finish the bike with Alex and the Hawthorne's. She went really well in the wet with 34ish mins then tagged Jeanie for the run, 2 laps.
Even though I'm upset about not racing, again, I managed to process quick enough this morning that continuing on was a bad idea. I have a bigger race on Saturday and Ironman after that. What was I going to get out of doing this race today other than no dnf next to my name? Nothing only more injured. This I thought about in about 10 seconds off my event, if you even call it that.
After Jeanie made it to the finish, and looked like she needed to be hospitalized, we got some food and I waited for my helmet as Emando was doing the longer race. Spoke to the coach and talked about my race on Saturday and Ironman. Got a plan for rest of the week plus going forward.
So to make my day worse, Emando crashed and broke my helmet. Long story short, he and Jo Lawn are sorting me a replacement and it did save him. The rest of the day was much less eventful thank goodness.
So try to get my leg better for Saturday and chill in Hahei until Friday. Hope to get some great weather too.

No comments: