Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Ironman Day 140 March 3 (RACE DAY....Almost)

Day number 140 in my journey for my 4th Ironman. Today was supposed to be race day, but with a terrible weather forecast, the race organisers has postponed the event until Sunday, and shortened the race to an Ironman 70.3.

Unlike in 2006, I do not feel ripped off/upset with the change of the race. I know that the organisers learnt a lot from 06 and prepared us on Thursday for this possibility instead of the debacle back then. Is my attitude completely different. I don't have the same thrill or anxiety of this event as I had in the previous 3.

Am I honestly afraid that I have neglected any true commitment to training to achieve my goal time, and I'm actually relieved that the race is shorter to mask my failings this time around? I think so. I know in my heart I have not been studious in my training as in the past, but I know I can complete, maybe not compete. I do really feel for all those who are in the same position I was in 6 years ago. It's a gut renching experience to have built up for years to have it mangled by Mother Nature, but for me, it's like ............ whatever.

Spent the day with the girls and James Turner + troop, John Hancock, and Will. The wind was shocking and it had some fierce bite to it, so the decision was justified. Went to Athletes briefing for Sunday's event, loaded up ready for race day.

For those who are not aware of the distances involved;
Full Ironman (140.6 miles/226km) 3.8km Swim/180km Bike/42.2km Run - My estimated time 10 hours 30 minutes - 11 hours
70.3 Ironman (Half the above distances)

So race starts 8am Sunday morning, instead of the usual 7am. It will be brighter as the sun usually rises at 7.20ish, just as we make the first buoy turn/straight into our eyes!

We did also change our accommodation to the YHA Youth Hostel too, so no more tent this week.

No comments: